1. I’m currently receiving assistance and I want to move. What do I need to do?
Submit your request to move in writing to KHA. If your request is approved, KHA will send you a voucher authorizing you to search for new housing. You will have 60 days to find new housing and request an inspection. You do not have to move from your current place while you are searching for a new place. KHA will continue making monthly payments to the landlord on your behalf. However, before you move, you must give your landlord written notice. The amount of notice your landlord requires can be found in your lease. If you fail to give your landlord written notice before moving, you may lose your Section 8 voucher and be prohibited from reapplying for assistance for 3 years. Please be sure to provide ample time for processing.

2. How do I know where I am on the waiting list?
While there is no way to know where you are on the waiting list or exactly how long it will take for you to get a voucher, there is a way to check your status and keep your application up-to-date. Visit www.killeen.housingmanager.com

3. I am on the waiting list. How long will it take for me to receive assistance?
It could take several months to several years to get assistance. The applications are processed in the order they are received. Applications received from applicants with a verified disability and applicants verified as living in a homeless shelter are processed before all other applications.

4. How much is my voucher worth?
A voucher uses payment standards that represent the most KHA will pay to help a family with rent. Please see the payment standards in the Briefing Book. This does not mean that we will pay the full amount for each family, since many things affect the family’s assistance. Payment standards include rent plus a utility allowance (U/A) if the tenant pays any of the utilities (e.g., Rent + Utility Allowance = Payment Standard).

5. I want to add a member to my household, how do I do that?
You must have prior written approval from KHA before moving any adult member into a unit. You must send a written request and provide the person’s Social Security number, photo ID, full legal name, and date of birth. KHA will conduct a background check to determine eligibility and will notify you of the results. The addition of a minor, resulting from a birth, adoption, or court awarded custody must be reported in writing by the family’s next annual recertification. KHA’s policy does not require reporting these cases unless it is during your annual reexamination. However, other minors must be reported within 30 days.

6. My landlord will not fix items in the unit in need of repair. What can I do?
All requests to repair items should be made in writing to the landlord so that there is a clear understanding of what is needed. If the owner/landlord does not repair the item(s) in a timely manner, you may request an inspection of the unit by submitting a list of items to KHA. If any items are potentially life threatening or create health and safety issues, you may call KHA for assistance. Items considered life threatening or that impact health and safety may include such things as electrical hazards, sewage problems, no water, no heat, leaks in the ceiling where there is possible falling debris, blocked exits, a gas leak, etc.

7. I have an increase in income. What do I do to let you know?
Increases in income must be reported during your reexamination process, which is from the time you meet with our field agent and your anniversary date. All changes must be reported in writing to KHA.

8. I have a decrease in income. What do I do to get my rent lowered?
You must report all changes in writing to OHFA. With your written notice, submit any paperwork you have showing that you have lost your job or showing your reduced income. For example, a letter from your previous employer on company letterhead indicating your last day of employment, a family contribution statement with amount provided and how often, DHS printouts and benefit letters (i.e., Social Security, unemployment, etc.). If you apply for unemployment, food stamps, TANF or if a family member is now assisting with bills, you must include this paperwork. Decreases will be effective after all income changes are verified. The change will not be retroactive to the date of the event or the reporting of the event.

9. My landlord gave me a notice to move. What do I do?
Provide a copy of the notice to KHA so that we may review and determine if we can issue you a voucher to search for a new unit or if we need to speak with the owner/landlord.

10. I have found a unit. What do I do?
Provide a copy of the notice to KHA so that we may review and determine if we can issue you a voucher to search for a new unit or if we need to speak with the owner/landlord.

Housing Choice Voucher Waitlist is CLOSED as of 01/13/17

Browse Online or Call Us at –254-634-5243

Killeen Housing Authority


The Housing Authority's Responsibilities:

  • Reviews all applicants to determine families' eligibility for the program.
  • Explains the rules of the program to families and property owners/managers.
  • Issues vouchers to families.
  • Inspects the housing assisted units for compliance with housing quality standards.
  • Approves the unit, owner, and lease.
  • Makes housing assistance payments to the owner in a timely manner.
  • Re-examines the family's income and composition annually and adjust the rent and process changes in rent portions when the income of the family composition changes.
  • Ensures owners and families comply with the program rules.
  • Provides prompt, professional service to owners and tenant families. 

The Family's Responsibilities:

  • Provides the housing authority with complete and accurate information pertaining to the family income and composition.
  • Reports changes in income and family composition that happens throughout the year.
  • Locates a suitable unit and pay the security deposit and application fee to the owner.
  • Attends scheduled appointments and return documents on time.
  • Maintains the property and minor repairs.
  • Complies with the terms of the lease.
  • Pays their portion of the rent on time to the owner.
  • Complies with all family obligations under the Housing Choice Voucher Program.